- This event has passed.
Beginning Beekeeping Intensive Series – Part 2: Apiary Class
April 23, 2016 @ 10:00 am - 1:30 pm$75.00
Mountain Feed and Farm Supply is offering a two-part series to help prepare you to be a successful beginning beekeeper. This day is the second of two parts. The lecture is a prerequisite for taking the apiary class. If you wish to only take the lecture class, you can register for that here.
Part Two: Apiary 4/23 @ Karla’s Apiary, 10am-1:30pm
Hands-on in the apiary and hive exploration.
Personal protective gear is required.
Topics to be covered:
- Lighting a smoker and keeping it lit
- Understanding the ‘how, when & why’ of hive inspections
- External hive inspection
- Internal hive inspection
- Royal court Identification
- Brood life cycles
- Assessment of available food
- Assessment of colony strength and health
- Spring feeding demonstration
- Package introduction overview
- First six weeks of new colony care
Please bring water and a snack if you want. Wear light-colored clothing, long pants, and sturdy close-toed shoes or boots.
Apiary classes are warm weather dependent. In case of rain, those days will be rescheduled. Students will be notified by email of any changes.
Apiary days are in extremely high demand and space is very limited. Refunds on classes will not be given without 72 hours notice.